Most runners are aware of injuries that occur if proper stretching is not performed. It can be a result of having weak muscles, overtraining, or not paying attention to current aches and pains. A common injury, which consistent running may produce, often affects the heel of the foot. This is known as plantar fasciitis, and symptoms can include severe pain and discomfort in the heel. This may be prevented by wearing shoes that have adequate support, in addition to performing proper stretching techniques before beginning any running activity. Many patients also endure stress fractures, which often comes from engaging in high-impact running techniques. Prevention is possible by incorporating low-impact activities such as yoga and cycling. If you would like additional information about how running injuries affect the feet, it is suggested that you consult with a podiatrist.
All runners should take extra precaution when trying to avoid injury. If you have any concerns about your feet, contact Dr. Dean D. Hinners of Illinois. Our doctor will treat your foot and ankle needs.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
There are a lot of mistakes a runner can make prior to a workout that can induce injury. A lot of athletes tend to overstretch before running, instead of saving those workouts for a post-run routine. Deep lunges and hand-to-toe hamstring pulls should be performed after a workout instead of during a warmup. Another common mistake is jumping into an intense routine before your body is physically prepared for it. You should try to ease your way into long-distance running instead of forcing yourself to rush into it.
More Tips for Preventing Injury
- Incorporate Strength Training into Workouts - This will help improve the body’s overall athleticism
- Improve and Maintain Your Flexibility – Stretching everyday will help improve overall performance
- “Warm Up” Before Running and “Cool Down” Afterward – A warm up of 5-10 minutes helps get rid of lactic acid in the muscles and prevents delayed muscle soreness
- Cross-Training is Crucial
- Wear Proper Running Shoes
- Have a Formal Gait Analysis – Poor biomechanics can easily cause injury
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Metropolis and Eldorado, IL. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.Read more about Preventing Running Injuries